Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What's Your Integrity Worth?

Today, while working out I listend to a great message from Craig Groeschel on integrity. It was part of a series he did called, "Lost Virtues." (His message on honor in that series is excellent as well.)

Craig admitted some times in his life when he lacked integrity and then near the end of his message asked, "What's your integrity worth?" He said whatever you are willing to steal whether it be a ream of paper or anything from the office, that's how much your integrity is worth to you.

My integrity is worth $5. I didn't steal anything from the office, but this past weekend at a Pirates game, an usher who was very kind older gentlemen cleaned off our seats. I felt the need to give him something, but looked in my wallet and found a one and a five. The one seemed to little, but the five too much. I felt like I should give the five, but instead gave the one and for some dumb reason I then lied and said, "I'm sorry that's all I have." I didn't have to lie, but I did, trying to justify myself and my decision more to myself than the usher.

Psalm 19 says, "But who can discern his errors? Clear me of hidden faults. Keep your servants from presumptuos sins." This past weekend and Craig's message serve as a wake up call that I need to continue to work on my integrity. It wasn't worth it keeping the five bucks to lose my integrity.

I am also continue to be amazed at the greed in my own heart. I couldn't give five lowsy bucks away. Cash is emotional. Emotions are the language of the heart and this past weekend shows I still have a greedy heart and need to continue to listen to God's Spirit when he tells me to give.

Thank you, God, for flushing out this sins in my life, helping me to see them. I repent of my greed and dishonesty and ask for grace to walk in your ways.

No comments: