Monday, July 19, 2010

Kids are better at...

My wife and I are working to make prayer time more of a priority for our family. As a member of a Church staff, you would think we would have already made it more a priority, but I have found that putting prayer into your life is a constant battle.

Today before we gathered the family for prayer, a neighbor friend of our kids came over to play. After playing for a while, we told the neighbor we were going to pray. He just stayed out on our front porch, while we went into our living room. I had thought about inviting him in, but figured he would say, "No." So I didn't invite him.

As we sat down to pray, my middle son Gus opened the window and said, "Cole, do you want to come in and pray with us?"

Cole said, "Nahh."

Gus said, "Why? Don't you believe in God?"

Cole answered, "I do."

"Well, come in and pray with us." Gus answered.

Cole didn't come in and pray, but I thought of how much of a struggle it would be to say the same things to my friends. I need to learn from my six year old son to invite more people into relationship with their heavenly Father. I need to learn from him his pure heart.

Kids are better at evangelizing because they naturally share their good things with others. Perhaps the key to becoming a better witness of faith is not to learn a technique, but to become more pure of heart so that we naturally share the good things we receive from a relationship with our heavenly Father.

No comments: