Monday, January 30, 2012

Mentors At A Distance

This past weekend I drove to Connecticut to visit my in-laws. To prepare for the drive I packed up some CD’s to help make the time more constructive. Included in my stash was Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University. Dave has become my financial mentor at a distance. As I was listening to him I started thinking that I have developed a few mentors for various areas of my life.

There are a few signs that someone has become a mentor at a distance. One sign is that I begin to call the person by his first name. The mentors are like friends. I have a relationship with them (even if they don’t have a relationship with me.) I can say to my wife, “I was listening to Dave and…” and she won’t say, “Dave who.” She knows I mean Dave Ramsey.

Another sign someone has become a mentor at a distance is that I consider what he would say or recommend about a decision I am making. If I can envision Dave Ramsey getting in my face about a financial decision, I know it isn’t right and need to rethink it.

Tony Horton has become my exercise and eating mentor. Over last year I dropped 30 pounds doing P 90 X and this year have started doing P90X 2. Without his program there is no way I would have lost the weight I did. Looking at his materials inspires me to work out harder and eat healthier.

Henry Cloud is my counselor and psychologist from a distance. Henry Cloud has written great books especially “Integrity” and “Necessary Endings.”

Andy Stanley is my spiritual mentor. I have learned a great deal listening to his messages about how to practically walk with Christ. His wisdom for living is outstanding.

Who are your mentors at a distance? Is there an area of your life you want to improve, but find yourself failing time and time again? If you found some mentors, even at a distance it may go a long way in achieving your goals.

No comments: