Friday, August 6, 2010

Everyone wins when...

I am at the Leadership Summit. I am attending the Summit at a satellite location in Connecticut trying to serve two purposes: getting my leadership tank filled and visiting my in laws

As I left the house yesterday, I got a later start than I had wanted. Google maps said it was about a 35 minute drive and I wanted to leave room for margin, but left just on time. Then on my way I got lost. Although I have a bad sense of direction, the Connecticut road signs leave much to be desired and are non existent at times. In fact, I asked a woman for directions and the woman who told me she was a realtor validated my feelings on the lack of signage. Even when I thought I was going the right way, I was doubting myself because signage is so bad.

While driving and then doubling back and then realized I had been going the right direction and should turn around again, I said to God, “God, how do I get refreshed?” I was wondering if I had made a mistake and that maybe I was just being selfish in carving out this time.

Finally I found my way to the location, which is a great setting. Although a few minutes late, I didn’t miss the worship which I had felt I needed. During the second song, tears were streaming down my face. I just felt God minister to my soul as we sang Hosanna in the Highest.

Then Bill Hybels began the first session saying, “Everyone wins when leaders grow.” Again, that just spoke to my soul and filled me up. It is a reminder that investing in leadership conferences is well worth the effort. Everyone wins when leaders grow. Children win when parents invest in their own growth. Employees win when bosses invest in their own growth. Churches win when pastors and staff workers invest in their growth. It isn't selfish to invest in growth it is wise, practical and necessary.

1 comment:

Ellen Franklin said...

Good points, Tom. Reminds me of the instructions on an airplane: you have to put the oxygen mask on yourself before you can help the person next to you.